LEBANON, PA – The whole world watched this month as Jamaica, led by super stars Usain Bolt and Yohan Blake, dominated the track & field sprint events at the London 2012 Olympics. Soon after this record-setting performance, the team’s coach, legendary Racers Track Club Coach Glen Mills, was quick to attribute some of their success to the team’s training conditions at their home Regupol running track in Jamaica.
“The Regupol track at our training and performance center at UWI Mona has definitely contributed to the fine performance of our athletes in London,” said Mills in a statement made Sunday, August 12, 2012, the last day of the Olympic Games.
The state-of-the-art Regupol running track was installed by BSW at the University of the West Indies – Mona Campus in May 2010. All training leading up to the Olympics was conducted on this track and paid off in dividends. The Jamaican team returned to their homeland taking the following medals:
• 100m – Usain Bolt, gold; Yohan Blake, silver
• 200m – Usain Bolt, gold; Yohan Blake, silver; Warren Weir, bronze
• 4 x 100m Relay – Nesta Carter, Michael Frater, Yohan Blake and Usain Bolt, gold and new World Record
“Bolt, Blake and all members of my Racers Track Club do enjoy their daily training on the Regupol® AG – track. The surface performs great and is most consistent. I am getting zero complaints from any of our athletes and what is even more important, we have not had any injuries ever since we do [sic]our training on the Regupol® track. Training conditions could not be better. I can highly recommend the use of Regupol® surfaces for training and competition to any coach in the world.”
Jamaica’s History of Success with Regupol® Tracks
• Regupol® tracks earned the endorsement of Usain Bolt, the world’s 100-meter and 200-meter sprint distance record holder, after Bolt shattered two world records on the high performance Regupol® track in the Berlin Olympic Stadium, during the 2009 World Athletics Championships.
• In 2010, the year after Bolt broke the world records, Regupol America parent company BSW completed installation of a 400-meter, Regupol® AG running track surface at the University of the West Indies – Mona Campus, Bolt’s training facility in Kingston. This “Bolt Blue”, IAAF-certified track is the home training camp for Bolt and team colleagues in the famous Racers Track Club, coached by the legendary Glenn Mills.
• Less than a year after the opening of the training track at University of the West Indies – Mona Campus, BSW completed another monumental athletic track project in Jamaica. In a record time of approximately four months, a new tartan athletic track was installed at the National Stadium, part of the Independence Park Sports and Cultural Complex in Kingston, Jamaica. This track is, again, in “Bolt Blue.” The opportunity to install the new track was earned primarily because of the Jamaican athletes outstanding experience with the track at the UWI Mona Campus. Additionally the Jamaican sports ministry was impressed by Regupol’s fast and trouble-free installation process.
For a PDF of the press release, click here.